Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 2000 13:26:52 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Bill Miles <wmiles@email.uophx.edu>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports problem

> Bill Miles wrote:
>
> Hi Guys,
>
> I just purchased a copy of FreeBSD 4.0 (March 2000) and the
> /cdrom/ports/distfiles directory does not exist on the first CD, nor
> do I seem to be able to get the make files to look at the CD-ROM
> without modification.  Now what?

You are confusing pre-compiled packages with ports. The source for the
ports requires downloading. The downloaded file goes into
/usr/ports/distfiles. A make in a ports locating in /usr/ports/...
will download the source. If you don't want to build a port, the
packages are great because all you do is "pkg_add port_file".

BTW, these isn't an appropriate question for freebsd-docs but should
have been asked in freebsd-questions.

You will also catch a lot of flak for using HTML in email on almost
all of the freebsd lists. They will mostly ignore your using Outlook
Express if you turn off HTML and fold your lines at column 70.

HTH,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart