Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 21:31:08 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        kingram@ipro.com (Ken Ingram)
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

As Ken Ingram wrote:

> When I mkdir /articles and run mount /dev/rwd2s1e /articles I get the error:
>
> '/dev/rwd2s1e on /articles: Block device required'

	mount /dev/wd2s1e /articles

> I have to admit that before I created all this hubub I looked over
> the man pages for disklabel,mount,fstab,newfs and anything related
> without getting a good idea of what works. It seems to be a
> trial/error sort of thing.

The problem is that neither the man pages nor the handbook are really
targeted to this kind of questions.  They all silently assume that you
basically know how unix filesystems work, and mostly mention the hairy
details only (man page), or the FreeBSD specifics (handbook).

People who are totally unfamiliar with the unix way of going are
better off by reading some literature.  I think you would get a good
start by buying Walnut Creek's CD-ROM, since it is accompanied by Greg
Lehey's ``Installing and Running FreeBSD'', which has got some good
press in the past.  I think you can also order that book separately
from them.

--
cheers, J"org