Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2001 14:14:11 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Kevin Bailey <ke-news@retriever.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Device/kernel config

Kevin Bailey wrote:

> I'm trying to get working an old sound card that I just started installed.
> I think it's an OPTi MAD16. It's 16-bit ISA and has an OPTi 82C928 A
> and a Crystal CS4248-KL chip. I've read the man pages and documentation
> under /usrc/src/sys/i386/isa/sound but I don't even know where to
> begin to configure the kernel to use it.
>
> All I want to do is play music with mpg123 or ogg123. Could
> someone suggest a device line for my kernel config file or a
> module to load ?

I don't know anything about these chips, but the first thing to try
is modload snd_pcm

and cd /dev ; ./MAKEDEV snd0

After you run the modload, do a dmesg and see if you get a line
similar to:

pcm0: <OPTi MAD16> port 0x320-0x33f irq 9 on isa0

(it won't look exactly like that).  If that doesn't work then it's time
start looking into the problem deeper.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer