Date:      Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:36:04 -0500
From:      Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   a new hard-drive in a 2y/o laptop

I've got an HP Business Class laptop (dv2700) and the original 250G SATAII
drive is going bad. So I bought a new drive, got a great deal on an SATAII
750G drive for it, bios sees the drive fine. The old drive had FBSD8.2/amd64
installed and it ran fine. I wanted to reinstall to make some partition
changes anyway so when I tossed in any install medium I get the following
error

'Unable to find device node for /dev/ad4s1b in dev! The creation of
filesystems will be aborted.'

I didn't select anything crazy and accepted defaults for everything. I
figured out the advanced bios option and am in the bios now letting the
bios' smart features run there tests (and it just shut down on me, this
happens in the winter when the heat is on :( ). Anyway, gonna let it cool
down and try the smart tests again. Incidentally, I was able to boot a
gentoo disc and set up an ext4 filesystem on the same disk and it worked
fine, so I don't understand why freebsd can't preform a newfs on the drive.