Date:      17 Feb 2002 22:03:56 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014402603.cd6cb2@mired.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Natural stone tables

Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> writes:

> I can see that.  I meant to ask earlier and got rushed, but is there anyone
> who, in an official capacity, makes complaints to ISPs, etc concerning this
> sort of thing?
> Someone should be lobbying the government to make some laws that can be
> used against these people.  I know a few states have started to do some things,
> and that's good, but there's more that needs done.

I half-heard a TV snews report in which I recall the head of the FTC
asking people to send them messages from commercial spammers and that
they'd go after them.  I'm not sure what law/rull the spammers would be
violating; I thought that's why the state laws where being made. I think
they were especially (or maybe only?) asking for SPAM of the chain
letter and pyramid scheme kind.  So I'm guessing it isn't the SPAM itself
that would be the spammer's violation, but the business practices being
engaged in via the SPAM.   IIRC, http://www.ftc.gov is where you look
for the place to send your SPAM.

I've enjoyed my new ISP (since Sep'01).  I've got my e-mail on a couple
of web sites and these archives and I get less than one SPAM per day
(other than the many from freebsd.org).