Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 14:55:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iName.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        cao@bus.net
Subject:   Re: editing linked files w/emacs

Dave Marquardt writes:
>"Chuck O'Donnell" <cao@bus.net> writes:
>> While using emacs to edit to a file with more than one hard link, and
>> saving with save-buffer (C-x C-s), emacs saves the newly edited buffer to
>> a new disk file, leaving the remaining links to refer to the original file
>> which is now out of date.
>>
>> To keep all link references current, I have to delete other links and
>> relink the file each time I make an edit.  I must be doing something wrong
>> here.
>
>You might have better luck asking on one of the Emacs newsgroups
>(comp.emacs, gnu.emacs, etc.).  I *believe* there is some sort of
>Emacs Lisp variable you can set to cause Emacs to not move the old
>version of the file `foo' to `foo~' and then write the modified file
>to `foo'.  It's probably in the Emacs INFO stuff somewhere.

There are 3 variables you want to look at.  From the Emacs info file
about backup:

   The choice of renaming or copying is controlled by three variables.
Renaming is the default choice.  If the variable `backup-by-copying' is
non-`nil', copying is used.  Otherwise, if the variable
`backup-by-copying-when-linked' is non-`nil', then copying is used for
files that have multiple names, but renaming may still used when the
file being edited has only one name.  If the variable
`backup-by-copying-when-mismatch' is non-`nil', then copying is used if
renaming would cause the file's owner or group to change.

--
Kevin