Date:               Thu, 18 Jul 1996 09:11:42 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:         SOYO SY-30F2 blues

Hoi Hardware,

I own a SOYO SY-30F2 mainboard (4xpci, 2xvesa, all 486's) with a
NCR 53C810 on the PCI bus. Until a week ago that was the only device
on the PCI bus.

A week ago I added a 'Diamond Stealth 64 video 2001' to my system.
Pretty cool video card, but not for me. X crashes my system (as in
immediate reboot). Needless to say Descent^H^H^H^H^H^H^HMS-DOS runs
fine :( I have no MS Windows to try it with.

In the shop they told me that my mainboard has trouble handling two
PCI busmastering devices and that I need a new mainboard if I want to
run a FreeBSD on it. Any truth in that?

boot -v reveals that both the SCSI and the VGA card use int# a. and
occupy the same memory address. This is regardless of the settings I
do in the bios (Award modular bios).

Any suggestions?

Groetjes,
  Kees Jan

PS. I tried to attach my dmesg output to this mail, but pegasus mail
is not a useful mailer. Sorry if it causes problems. I'll mail dmesg
to anyone who asks personally.