Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:46:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Local mail delivery & file locking?

OK; this is weird.  I've only seen it with one person, but it's (thus)
rather more perplexing:  It seems that sometimes(!), my spouse's mailbox
gets clobbered, apparently if she exits mail with saved messages at Just
The Right Time with respect to local delivery of a new message.

Please note that she & I are using the same machine & the same programs,
but I have yet to encounter this.  And I get a lot more mail than she does
-- after all, my freebsd,org subscriptions come here.

The MUA we're using is /usr/bin/mail.  (Yes, I know it's ancient.  It
suits me.  I've suggested that she might want to consider a different
program; her response was to ask which one I use, and when I told her,
she said that it ought to work for her, too.  I can't fault the logic.)