Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:39:18 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Marcelo Maraboli <marcelo.maraboli@usm.cl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pwd.db too big for / partition

On Mar 19, 2007, at 7:54 AM, Marcelo Maraboli wrote:
> my / partition has only 73.196 Mbytes available and since I
> have 22.000 users, I now cannot change anyone=B4s password..
>
> root@server:~$ passwd marcelo.maraboli
> Changing local password for marcelo.maraboli
> New Password:
> Retype New Password:
>
> /: write failed, filesystem is full
> pwd_mkdb: write old: No space left on device
> passwd: pam_chauthtok(): error in service module
>
> How can I rezise the "/" partition or move the spwb.db
> and pwd.db files to another partition ?? (each of them is 44 Mbytes)

You certainly don't want to move the password files out of /etc-- =20
you'll render the machine unbootable as it needs to find them on the =20
root partition.  The only approach I see which is likely to be =20
workable would be to backup the system, repartition the disks with a =20
larger root partition, and restore from backups.

However, in theory, if you had free disk space, you could use growfs =20
to expand the root partition without repartitioning, but I am dubious =20=

about using that command against /.

--=20
-Chuck