Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 14:12:40 -0500
From:      Christopher Schulte <christopher@schulte.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installworld fails: gnu/usr.bin/groff/devascii

As a follow up, I spoke too soon when I said I was able to installworld
after making changes to Makefile.tty.  At least 2 or 3 more times did
installworld fail, with various 'not found' type errors when looking for
binaries such as mkdir and pod2man.  Each time I was able to edit the
appropriate Makefile with an explicit path, and the install would
subsequently step further.

The only reason I'm even posting to the list is that I've done the
4.2-RELEASE -> 4.x-STABLE procedure a dozen or more times just like this,
and never once came across this type of situation....

In src/Makefile.inc1 I see:

installworld:
         mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
         for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep \
             install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
             test true uname wc zic; do \
                 cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
         done

Which appears to copy critical utilities used in the install process into a
tmp dir.

Would it have helped to include expr, mkdir and pod2man in this list?  Does
installworld perhaps drop the shell's path and only know how to find
programs in this tmp directory?

--
Christopher Schulte
Finger for PGP key, or for UNIX impaired: