Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:13:46 -0500
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
Cc:        dougb@FreeBSD.org, leeym@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster and added dependencies

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 04:50:16PM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:26:53 -0500
> Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 03:59:11PM -0500, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > > I've been using portmaster for a couple of weeks and like what I've
> > > seen.  However, I'm a bit confused on how dependencies changes are to
> > > be handled.  Here's a scenario:
> > >
> > > Events:
> > >
> > > 2008.02.17 01:50:08 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: update to 0.22
> > >
> > > 2008.02.17 11:00:00 UTC  update ports and devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder
> > >                          was updated
> > >
> > > 2008.02.19 05:33:50 UTC  devel/p5-ExtUtils-CBuilder: Add missing deps
> > >                          ports/120802 (textproc/p5-Text-ParseWords was
> > >                          added as a build/run dependency)
> >
> > Snipped the rest because I think this could have all been avoided by
> > bumping PORTREVISION when the dependency to p5-Text-ParseWords was
> > added.  Ideally the dependency information should have been recorded
> > with the update to 0.22 (like is in ports/120802).  I'm CC'ing leeym@
> > who made the last commit.
>
> It would have been far easier that way of course but this isn't the
> first time a dependency change has been made to some port without
> bumping PORTREVISION and probably won't be the last.  This situation
> only existed for a couple of days and affected only those who updated
> during the interim.

Right, I was just pointing out that it is not necessarily a problem with
portmaster since PORTREVISION should have been bumped.  :)  Thank you
for brining this up, however, since it is a mistake in the port and may
be a nice addition to portmaster (if such a thing does not already
exist).

> What I'm really looking for is the portmaster equivalent of
> portupgrade's "pkgdb -L" to look for lost dependencies so I can
> check all the installed ports dependency chains.

That I will leave up to Doug to answer.

-- WXS