Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2006 19:37:18 +0200
From:      "Dominique Goncalves" <dominique.goncalves@gmail.com>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: GNOME 2.16 coming soon

Hi,

On 8/25/06, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org> wrote:
> GNOME 2.15.92 (aka 2.16 Release Candidate 1) was released today, and the
> FreeBSD port in the MarcusCom CVS repository
> (http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/develfaq.html) has been updated as
> well.  I'm not saying everyone should run and install this.  In fact, I
> would caution against it unless you really know what you're in for.
>
> Why?  Well, a lot has changed for the FreeBSD GNOME port.  On the hip,
> cool side, we now offer a working port of HAL.  But that's not a reason
> NOT to get GNOME 2.15.  The big reason is that we have [finally] decided
> to switch PREFIXes from X11BASE to LOCALBASE.  What this means is that
> all ports that depend on cairo need to be rebuilt (as well as a few
> others).  It also currently means some conflicts with KDE.  So unless
> you're really brave, it would probably be best to wait for the official
> release when he hope to have a better set of [tested and safe] upgrade
> instructions.
>
> So why am I telling you all this?  Two reasons really.  One is, of
> course, to warn you about what's coming.  The other is to solicit some
> cool GNOME 2.16 screenshots from those already testing out GNOME 2.15
> and have some creative juices.
>
> Joe
>
> P.S. GNOME 2.16 will most likely be released during the 6.2 ports
> freeze.  But even if it isn't, we will probably not merge it right away
> so we can do some QA after the release dust settles.  I'm thinking of
> hosting an IRC testing and debugging party around that time for people
> interested.
> --
> Joe Marcus Clarke
> FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org
> FreeNode / #freebsd-gnome
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/gnome

This is a screenshot of my desktop, with french locales, deskbar
applets, listening radiofg with bmp and eog with holiday picture from
Portugal :-)

http://djdomics.free.fr/FreeBSD/gnome/gnome-2.16.png

Regards.

--
There's this old saying: "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach
a man to fish, feed him for life."