Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 2000 13:40:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Greg Work <Greg@fatcanary.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

A couple of things that might cause poor performance on an AMD K6-2 system
could be the cache located on the motherboard (either fake or painfully
slow cache chips), old BIOS revision/firmware version, bad or non-matching
memory, or just plain poor chipset.

A couple of things to try is, if possible, is to flash your BIOS to the
latest revision and make sure that your are using PC100 memory.

You might want to try to disable the L2 cache that's on the motherboard to
see if it helps with stability or not. If that increases stability, then
the cache chips on your motherboard are bad.

// Linh Pham
//
// Proud supporter of FreeBSD and OpenBSD
// FreeBSD - http://www.freebsd.org
// OpenBSD - http://www.openbsd.org

/*	"Oregon, n.:
		Eighty billion gallons of water