Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:45:47 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Odd performance problems after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.0-Stable

> Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:34:04 -0500
> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
>
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 04:26:18PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
> > I am attaching a dmesg. I do have a few of drivers (uhci, pcm, psm,
> > atkbd0 and ichsmb) that are still marked as GIANT-LOCKED, but I'm not
> > using the USB very often. And I'm not using pcm or ichsmb during the
> > dump, either. I think everyone has the mouse and keyboard under GIANT,
> > but I can't really see those as a problem, either.
>
> A bunch of things are sharing interrupts with USB..disable it and see
> if that helps.  Also check vmstat -i to see if some device is
> storming.  If not, turn on MUTEX_PROFILING(9) in your kernel and run
> the dump (or something faster that also exhibits the problem), then
> look for what is contending with Giant.

Yes, it may be time for MUTEX_PROFILING. I had already looked at
interrupts. My kernel is sans APIC so I didn't really think that
interrupts were a problems and I see:
interrupt                          total       rate
irq0: clk                      207037779       1000
irq1: atkbd0                       50208          0
irq6: fdc0                             9          0
irq8: rtc                       26498038        128
irq10: pcm0 ichsmb0                    2          0
irq11: xl0 uhci0                18076067         87
irq12: psm0                       869500          4
irq13: npx0                            1          0
irq14: ata0                     10423468         50
irq15: ata1                          112          0
Total                          262955184       1270

Clearly no storms and nothing looks obviously broken. USB and the
network card share an IRQ, but the USB is not connected to anything and
I would not think that it is generating many interrupts. The network
IS being used and I'm not seeing all that many interrupts on IRQ11.

Thanks for the suggestions!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)