Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:47:58 +0000
From:      Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating from ports to pkg

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 12:29:42 -0800
Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where can I get an authoritative list of which compile options are
> enabled for the packages supplied at
> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest?  I hope that mail/postfix

	pkg search -Q options <package>

> will offer DOVECOT2=on but I doubt it.  I believe that leaves me with

	You are correct it does not.

> poudriere or just using standard DIY ports.

	When there are only a small number of ports with special options
it's quite easy to just build the essential ports using make missing to get
a list of packages to install before building each port. Just don't forget
to pkg lock all the customised packages so they don't get replaced by
standard ones during an upgrade.

	With poudriere you wind up building all the dependencies locally
and so have far more locally built ports than you need. I find poudriere
works best if you do all your own package building, otherwise clashes
between local and remote built packages are hard to handle.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <steve@sohara.org>