Date:      Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:20:15 -0700
From:      Lloyd Hayes <lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Naming confusion

Ouch!

     >% host traveler2.hayes.org
     >traveler2.hayes.org has address 64.15.175.5

     >ssh(1) will throw screaming hissy-fits.

While the "hayes" has been popular with computers for almost 30 years, I
was sort of hoping that it would not make a difference on my personal
computer. Having an email address assigned to my personal computer is a
new experience for me. Each computer that I have ever had was named with
a unique name that I assigned it. Laptops became my "traveler#" series.
But I am referring to local computer names, not Internet addresses.

How do I name this thing is a way that will not effect my Internet access?

    Using the same Internet access service or location on a regular
    basis is not an option. This is a personal computer. Not a dumb
    teminal...

    X must be able to run, along with other functions.

Speaking of X,

     >X.org and XFree86 are almost identical right now. Apart from a few
    small details (eg. the precise colour of blue text.) and the levels
    of support for some of the very latest graphics hardware, you
    probably aren't going to see much difference at all between the ways
    they behave.

I can get XFree86 up and running in just a few minutes. I haven't gotten
Xorg to start up yet, and have reached a point where I want nothing to
do with Xorg. I believe that the problems that I have with Xorg relates
back to this naming function, and may be incompatible with my environment.

     >X.org has also been chosen as the favoured X implementation by all
    of the Linux distros

I'm surprised at that since I have had Fedora Core 2 and Debian "Sarge"
on this same laptop in the last couple of months. If it was using X.org,
then I was transparent and I did not realize it.

A note on Linux:

    Fedora Core 2, from Red Hat, has migrated to automatic functions
    leaving manuel adjustments behind. I found that I needed those
    manual adjustments. It appears that those manual adjustment programs
    have become part of the Red Hat Enterprise software. And I am not up
    to spending $350 for the current version of Red Hat that I would need.

    Debian "Sarge" provides software for everything. There are 14 CDs in
    this set. I liked this distrobution. But it's too easy to mess up
    your current system by installing the wrong software.

    What does FreeBSD have that these Linux distrobutions do not have?
    All of the software for FreeBSD works, until you include Xorg, and
    there are manual ways of adjusting everything. (Plus FreeBSD will
    install from an external SCSI CD ROM.)

And I have really gotten off of the subject.....

What can I do to get the computer named, and what naming convention
should I use?
In reading your email, you suggest: lloyd@traveller2.hayes.com

The email address listed here is lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com
I also have lloyd545220-user@yahoo.com
or any address lloyd545220-(anthing)@yahoo.com (I would have to register
(anything), but the entire block here is mine to assign.)

This is re-directed to my real email address of wyoming_antelope@yahoo.com

Should I simply use my real email address?
Would Yahoo get upset about that?
Would this address be accepted by the FreeBSD system?

Lloyd Hayes

Email: lloyd545220-trucker@yahoo.com
E-FAX Number: (208) 248-6590