Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 2006 18:24:06 -0500
From:      "Conrad J. Sabatier" <conrads@cox.net>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New USB MIDI driver for FreeBSD

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 17:19:22 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky
<hselasky@c2i.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> During the past week I have been working on USB MIDI support for
> FreeBSD. I choose the simplest approach, and that was to create a
> raw/direct MIDI device. I have created a user-land library called
> "umidi20" that will do the low-level sequencing / timing stuff.
>
> Maybe someone here wants to help.
>
> How to install:
>
> #
> # First get all the sources:
> #
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
>       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
>
> #
> # The following commands will
> # install the driver on FreeBSD:
> #
>
> cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
> make S=../src package
> make install
> cp -i ../src/sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio*[ch] /sys/dev/sound/usb/
>
> #
> # Then build a new kernel.
> #
>
> The "umidi20" library will seemlessly handle device attach/detach.
> For example one can unplug the MIDI device during playback, then plug
> it in, and everything works again. No need to restart anything. Just
> make sure that you "chmod 777 /dev/umidi*" or something similar.
>
> I have also created a homepage with some screenshots and info:
>
> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/midistudio

Hmmm...I wonder how well this might work with Rosegarden 4.

I've managed to get Rosegarden 4 to compile and run on my amd64 CURRENT
box (running it with the --nosequencer switch to prevent crashing on
startup).  Perhaps with this device, the sequencer in Rosegarden may
actually become useable!

I've considered submitting a port of Rosegarden 4, but am hesitant to
do so with the broken sequencer functionality.  All of the other
modules seem to work pretty well, though, especially the much-improved
(over the old Rosegarden we already have in ports) Notation Editor,
which I've used to create and then export MIDI files.

I may just have to find a USB cable for my Yamaha S03 keyboard and see
how it goes.  :-)

Thanks!

--
Conrad J. Sabatier <conrads@cox.net> -- "In Unix veritas"