Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:48:03 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Peter Chiu" <pccb@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adduser not using md5 password format

> I am running stable branch cvsupped Mon Oct 22 02:53:56 EDT 2001.
>
> I added a user and noticed that it is not using the md5 password
> format.

The adduser perl script uses Perl's crypt() function, which is implemented
via crypt(3).  Since the salt that is provided to the crypt() call doesn't
explicitly specify which algorithm to use (man crypt(3) for details), the
crypt() function call defaults to DES.

If you use passwd() to change the user's password after creating the
account, the new password will be md5, or whatever you've specified in
/etc/login.conf.

Could you open a PR for this bug?  adduser should use the password format in
/etc/login.conf.

--
Matt Emmerton