Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 03:06:43 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>, "Ben Eisenbraun" <bene@klatsch.org>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Lockdown of FreeBSD machine directly on Net

This logic discounts some of the reasons that people break into things.

While I'd agree that probaby a lot of passwords come off visible PostIt
notes, your making a mistake if you assume that crackers all operate off
a cost-benefit basis.  That's like assuming that all airplane hijackers
want to leave the airplane alive.  Sometimes people decide to be assholes and
attempt to gun you just because they are assholes, and they don't care how
long it takes or how much trouble it takes to do it, or what happens to
themselves while doing it.