Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 12:05:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can not login in with XDM

According to instructions in Complete FreeBSD, I did the following to
start X automatically.  In file /etc/rc.local, I added:

echo " xdm"; /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
echo "."     <-- I do not know what's this for, but it's in the book.

In file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers, I add

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 vt03

I also make sure that the /dev/ttyv3 is marked off in file /etc/ttys.

Now after I reboot, I see the XDM login window and I do the following:

username<CR>
password<CR>

It changes to blank and then back to the XDM login window again!  I also
tried:

username<CR>
password<CONTROL+CR>

Please help me to login into X.  My machine is running FreeBSD
4.0-Release.  I use GNOME + Afterstep.

-Zhihui