Skip site navigation (1)Skip section navigation (2)
Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2014 20:34:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        "Walter" <fbsd@saveouraquifer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: minder
Message-ID:  <57856.76.192.184.214.1413423271.squirrel@cosmo.uchicago.edu>
In-Reply-To: <543F12EF.8020207@saveouraquifer.org>
References:  <543ED1D6.3000500@saveouraquifer.org> <543ED8C1.9090508@gmail.com> <543EF466.3070908@saveouraquifer.org> <543F0C42.1060401@gmail.com> <543F12EF.8020207@saveouraquifer.org>

Next in thread | Previous in thread | Raw E-Mail | Index | Archive | Help

On Wed, October 15, 2014 7:35 pm, Walter wrote:
> On 10/15/14, 8:07 PM, Rolf Nielsen wrote:
>> On 2014-10-16 00:25, Walter wrote:
>> > On 10/15/14, 4:27 PM, Rolf Nielsen wrote:
>> >> On 2014-10-15 21:58, Walter wrote:
>> >>> but it's hard to know how useful these are without trying them
>> >>> all, and I'm hoping people here can guide me.  Ultimately, I'm
>> >>> interested in secure, encrypted p2p operations starting with
>> >>> basic messaging, which will run on Windows-something, Mac, and
>> >>> Linux (BSD) OS's.
>> >>
>> >> And just as pear is a flavour of apple, BSD is really a flavour
>> >> of Linux... Right?
>> > I may run BSD on some servers, but most people run Linux with a
>> > desktop.  And if it runs on Linux, it will likely run under BSD.
>>
>> > Or am I wrong on that?  Or that most people use Linux over BSD?
>>
>> > Walter
>>
>> That wasn't my point. My point was that the form "Linux (BSD)" is
>> dangerously close to calling BSD a Linux distro, which it isn't.
> I'll try to be clearer then: I know the BSD's are not Linux distributions.
> I know FreeBSD is it's own OS.  But I also know FreeBSD has a Linux
> compatibility layer, where it can run Linux programs.  Maybe not all
> of them, but at least some.
>
> Desktop Operating System Market Share:
> http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0
>  Windows 7
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+7&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	52.71%
> Market Share of Windows XP
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+XP&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> XP
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+XP&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	23.87%
> Market Share of Windows 8.1
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+8.1&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> 8.1
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+8.1&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	6.67%
> Market Share of Windows 8
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+8&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> 8
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+8&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	5.59%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.9
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.9&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.9
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.9&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	4.05%
> Market Share of Windows Vista
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+Vista&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> Vista
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+Vista&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	3.07%
> Market Share of Linux
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0>;
> Linux
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Linux&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	1.64%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.6
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.6&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.6
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.6&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.74%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.8
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.8&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.8
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.8&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.60%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.7
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.7&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.7
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.7&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.57%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.1
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.1&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.1
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.1&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.25%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.5
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.5&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.5
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.5&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.14%
> Market Share of Windows NT
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+NT&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> NT
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+NT&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.05%
> Market Share of Mac OS X 10.4
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.4&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X 10.4
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+10.4&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.04%
> Market Share of Windows 2000
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+2000&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> 2000
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+2000&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.02%
> Market Share of Mac OS X (no version reported)
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+%28no+version+reported%29&qpcustomb=0>;
> Mac
> OS X (no version reported)
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Mac+OS+X+%28no+version+reported%29&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.01%
> Market Share of Win64
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Win64&qpcustomb=0>;
> Win64
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Win64&qpcustomb=0>;
> 	0.00%
> Market Share of Windows 98
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+98&qpcustomb=0>;
> Windows
> 98
> <http://www.netmarketshare.com/report.aspx?qprid=11&qpaf=&qpcustom=Windows+98&qpcustomb=0>;
>
>
>
> Linux has 1.64% market share, but no flavor of BSD makes the list.
> I don't think saying Linux is more popular should be a major point of
> contention.
>
> So, my thinking is that if a family of an application runs on Windows,
> Mac, and Linux, it would be popular enough not to die out, and
> likely to get all the bugs ironed out.  AND, if it runs on Linux, FreeBSD
> will likely run it too; that's what I meant by my poorly written words
> "Linux (BSD)."
>
> So, can someone help me with a URL to find Minder documentation, and
> can I elicit experiences with BitMessage, RetroShare, OpenDC, and the
> like.
> I'll be starting with FreeBSD and Mac but intend to add Windows and would
> like to include Linux also.  Thanks.
>

Who is the provider of information? Oh, it is [hell, who knows them].com
How that data has been collected? Oh, yes, I see, they are bases on
Windoze themselves (you see .aspx, do you?). Do you really think any
serious server in the World can be based on Windoze. Well, M$ itself had a
bunch of servers running under FreeBSD. So it is kind of clear they can
not be taken seriously. And I kind of know who pays for the "information"
presented, and I'm not surprised to see what I see. Certainly they didn't
count my FreeBSD workstation and laptop. Not to mention a bunch of FreeBSD
servers ;-)

Valeri

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics
Kavli Institute for Cosmological Physics
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?57856.76.192.184.214.1413423271.squirrel>