Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:41:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Moffett <dpm@cs.purdue.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Localtalk PC Card Driver?

A printing question.

I've stumbled into three or four Apple Localtalk PC Cards made by Apple
in early 1988 (at $2/each I couldn't resist!).  I've also stumbled into
an Apple Laserwriter II NTX (alas not at $2) which after a few parts
from The Printer Works (a highly recommended vendor for laser printer
parts, BTW) now seems to generate pages just fine.

What I'd like (don't sneer!) to do is find a pleasant way to have FreeBSD
(2.1 or higher) speak to the localtalk card sufficiently well to drive
the NTX near the 'normal' localtalk speeds instead of 9600 baud (or
56kb if one does some silly things to talk to the printer).  Am I
just dreaming?  Is it worth the potential trouble?  Should I junk the
entire thing and get an HP 5M instead (using what for money!)?

Thoughts, experiences & wisdom would be appreciated.  As would the
switch settings on the Apple cards...

Thanks!

David Moffett
(dpm@cs.purdue.edu)