Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:44:35 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE startup slow

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003, CARTER Anthony wrote:

> ok...
>
> Do you have an internal network on your machine, or do you just plug
> your ADSL into your network card?

It's hooked up like this... (The UTP is crossed wired)

Phoneline ----->ADSL-modem----UTP-cable---->FreeBSD

I have no internal 192.168-network...

> If you just plug straight into your network card, then you can
> disable dhcp if you want, it is not necessary. What you need to do
> is configure /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and /etc/rc.conf (using
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf as reference, but don't change the defaults
> file).
>
> you have to add:
>
> ppp_enable = "yes"
> ppp_mode = "dial"
> (and another one about the connection name in you ppp.conf file but
> I forget.)
>
> Anyway, I don't have my ppp.conf file here, but I can get it for
> tomorrow...If you have done all this, then make sure you have
> enable dns as the last entry in ppp.conf.

I did try ppp.conf at first, as I use it myself at home with an ADSL
provider that uses PPPoE. The provider for this particular ADSL does
not seem to use PPPoE, even though it for MS Windows, in the manual,
mentions PPP.

As I know the IP's of the DNS's, and they're static, I should not have
to have enable dns, or? At least I do not use that at home.

In ppp.conf I did 'set device PPPoE:fxp0'. Maybe I should try to drop
the PPPoE?

Anyway it seems the provider isn't like other providers, as there
exists an application that is called LF Connection Keeper, just to
keep the connection open, and this application is only made for this
ISP provider.

Best regards,
Paul