Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:49:27 -0500
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        "manny rosa" <manny_robot_freak@yahoo.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing packages with no internet

>but no code. For example, I've looked all over the CDs

yeah, that's what I've been whining about for the last couple of weeks,
and several people have challenged me to do something about it. Ie.,
figure out some nice method for documenting which packages are
on which CD.

>and have not been able to find "The GIMP." I've found
>it online, but no package (tgz), just the ports stuff.

AFAIK, if there isn't a "Packages" link when you look for it
in the Ports link on the FreeBSD.org web site, there isn't a
Package available anywhere, and you can only install it via
a Port. Which you can do without an internet connection - you
just need to download all the port .tgz files yourself. And it will
probably be a pain, as here you'll see a list of dependent
ports:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=gimp&stype=all

Go and download each one of those and put it into the
/usr/ports/distfiles folder. Then do the make from the
/usr/ports/graphics/gimp1 folder and follow what it
says. I imagine there is some way to tell the make to not
go look on the Internet for the ports, to just die, but I don't
happen to know it offhand.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: