Date:      Wed, 6 Jul 2011 17:14:11 -0700
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can options NFSD and NFSSERVER exist in the same kernel?

On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 05:02:37PM -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Steve Kargl
> <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> > So, I upgraded a system from Feb 10 -current to today's
> > -current code. ?In doing so, I changed the kernel config
> > options from
> >
> > options ? ? ? ? NFSCLIENT ? ? ? ? ? ? ? # Network Filesystem Client
> > options ? ? ? ? NFSSERVER ? ? ? ? ? ? ? # Network Filesystem Server

> > options ? ? ? ? NFSCL ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?# Network Filesystem Client
> > options ? ? ? ? NFSD ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? # Network Filesystem Server
> >
> > rebuild and install the kernel. ?Upon rebooting, I'm greeted
> > with a
> >
> > Jul ?6 16:09:41 node16 root: /etc/rc: WARNING: Unable to load
> > kernel module nfsserver
> >
> > Of course, it can't load nfsserver because I don't use modules
> > nor build them. ?So, why is the system trying to load a nfsserver
> > module? ?Because, my /etc/rc.conf contains
> >
> > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > nfs_server_enable="YES"
> >
> > if I change this to
> >
> > nfs_client_enable="YES"
> > nfsv4_server_enable="YES"
> >
> > The system no longer tries to load nfsserver upon rebooting.
> > Unfortunately, this has the effect that no nfsd daemons are
> > started. ?Well, I can start the daemons post-booting.
> >
> > node16:root[139] /etc/rc.d/nfsd start
> > Cannot 'start' nfsd. Set nfs_server_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onestart' instead of 'start'.
>
>     Try nfsserver instead of nfsd. Here's the archived discussion of
> my foray into this territory a few months ago:
> .

Thanks for the pointer.

Note, the 20110427 src/UPDATING entry indicates the NFSSERVER has
been changed to NFSD in GENERIC.  It seems that one needs to have
both nfs_server_enable and nfsv4_server_enable set to "YES" in
rc.conf to get nfsd daemons started.  This is POLA violation for
anyone upgrading from pre-20110427 -current and carrying over
their old /etc/rc.conf.

--
Steve