Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 14:39:50 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org (freebsd-current@freebsd.org), sos@freebsd.dk
Subject:   Re: ATAPI and ATAPI_STATIC with the new ATA* driver?

On Wed, 03 Mar 1999 13:13:10 +0100, Cejka Rudolf wrote:

> It's really frustrating if I add new drive (anywhere on the busses) and
> other drives change their numbers - it's good base for big troubles
> (infinite changing /etc/fstab and so on).

Fair enough. But in real life, you don't add a new drive "anywhere on
the busses". You know _exactly_ which controller you're attaching the
drive to, and you know whether the drive is the master or the slave.

This information is enough for you to figure out _exactly_ where in the
probing the drive will be "spotted" and numbered.

I'm not sure I understand what real-world frustrations people are having
here. Is this thread the product of reactionary criticism, or are there
real examples of situations in which there are serious disadvantages to
the way Soren has things working?

Ciao,
Sheldon.