Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:46:17 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Doug Hass <dhass@imagestream.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>, Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, MurrayTaylor <taylorm@bytecraft.au.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI

> > Doug, in the entire history of the FreeBSD project, when given a choice
> > between a better driver or code that is closed source, and a worse
> > driver that has open source, the FreeBSD community has never chosen the
> > driver or code with closed source.  In fact I can only remember ONCE
> > that the Project has recommended against freely available BSD code - and
> > they did so in favor of GPL code, not closed source code - and this was
> > for the coprocessor emulator (used for 386 and 486SX chips only)
>
> > The only time that FreeBSD gets involved in closed-source code is when
> > there is simply NO other alternative - like in this case where the
> > register interface specs are being withheld.
>
> We certainly support the right for companies to protect their intellectual
> property in whatever way they see fit, even if the FreeBSD community does
> not.

Doug; I would recommend against falling for Ted's flamebait here, since
that's really all it is.  His characterisation of the FreeBSD Project's
attitude towards proprietary drivers fails to mention many of the other
factors that get weighed into these decisions, and I think he's missing a
lot of history.

> The lack of flexibility in accepting various requirements illustrates the
> difference between an OS WITH legs in the market and one WITHOUT legs.

And you probably shouldn't try to respond with generalisations that are
meant to be personal attacks.  Think about who you're trying to endear
yourself to, eh?

> Much to my chagrin, FreeBSD continues to fall more and more into the
> latter category.

If we're legless, it's probably because we're drunk on our own success. 8)

Seriously though; if you don't want to release sources for a driver for
whatever reason, that's fine.  But bear in mind that if you don't support
your binary-only driver in a realistic and attentive fashion, you're
going to make people unhappy, and they will turn to solutions that they
can maintain themselves, or that they can badger other people into
maintaining.

Regards,
Mike