Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:11:47 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, "John T. Farmer" <jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com>
Cc:        conrads@neosoft.com, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Advice on audio strategy needed

At 10:29 AM 6/26/97 -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>Most likely he has an Intel motherboard which you can indeed disable the
>CS4232C. At any rate Sujal Patel's PnP stuff should be able also to disable
>the CS4232c however the BIOS will still reserve the CS4232c's IRQs
>which translates to wasting IRQ during the BIOS init.

Sounds like he has the Intel Atlantis (Advanced/AS), which has the CS4232C
soundcard-on-a-chip, and an ATI mach64 video card (video card is optional)
built into the motherboard. From Intel's Atlantis FAQ
(http://developer.intel.com/design/motherbd/as/as_inst.HTM):
-----
How can I disable the Crystal audio component on the Advanced/AS?
For non-Plug and Play operating systems (DOS, Windows, WFW, etc.) you need
to use the ISA Configuration Utility (ICU) to disable the Advanced/AS
on-board Crystal Audio subsystem. Important note: The DOS/Windows ICU
should not be used with Windows 95.

Follow these steps with non-Plug and Play operating systems:
<snipped out>
To disable the on-board sound using the Windows 95 device manager:
<snipped out>
It basically says to uncheck the box marked "Original Configuration".

Finally, using a text editor, add REM in front of C:\win95\cs4232c.exe /w
/x in the CONFIG.SYS file.

The above procedure can be used for disabling the Crystal Audio component
using version 1.24 of the Windows 95 Crystal audio drivers. The above
procedure also can be used to disable the Crystal Audio component for
drivers previous to version 1.24. The driver names in the Device Manager
for previous versions are:
•Crystal CS4232PNP Audio Hardware •Gameport Joystick •MPU-401 Compatible
-----

Obviously, not very friendly to non-Micro$oft systems.
--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 04/18/97
"If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire."