Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 1999 09:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   I've got a CD that can "lock up" the SCSI CD driver...

I'm using 3.3-RELEASE.  And, I've got one CD that I can put
in the drive.

When I do so (if it's the first CD used since booting), I
get the following message:

Oct  1 09:31:02 lakes su: rivers to root on /dev/ttyp0
Oct  1 09:31:08 lakes /kernel: cd0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
Oct  1 09:31:08 lakes /kernel: cd0: <HP CD-Writer 6020 1.07> Removable CD-ROM SC
SI-2 device
Oct  1 09:31:08 lakes /kernel: cd0: 3.300MB/s transfers
Oct  1 09:31:08 lakes /kernel: cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT REA
DY, Vendor Specific ASC

The mount command will not complete.   The CD drive is locked up, as it
believes the CD-ROM is in-use.

If you cntrl-C to interrupt the mount command, you do get a prompt;
but you can't umount the CD (it didn't successfully mount) to clear
up the in-use bit...   So, you can't get the CD-ROM out of the drive.

The only option is to reboot the machine.

What's odd about this - is I can use just about any other CD-ROM,
it just so happens this one particular one (the clip-art CD from WordPerfect)
does this.   I don't seem to be able to find another CD-ROM that
causes the problem.

As you can see - this is an HP 6020i.   I'm also using an aha2940uw.

It's possible this CD has problems (but it works fine in other machines.)

It's possible that an HP 6020 has problems that this CD "tickles" - but,
that should not "lock up" the driver.

So, my issue is this - how do you clear a "partial mount" without
rebooting?

	- Dave Rivers -