Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:56:26 -0500
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG, marcel@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Somebody broke the linux module on the Alpha.

Andrew Gallatin wrote:

>  > > The following patch "fixes" the problem, but I have no clue if it
>  > > is safe for x86, buildworlds, etc:
>  >
>  > At this time the best fix is to remove the auto-generation. It also
>  > allows us to compile the Linuxulator into the kernel, which I think is
>  > necessary (what applies to i386, applies to Alpha as well. Otherwise the
>  > Alpha would be nothing more than a secundary port).
>
> Excuse me?  Why the preoccupation with compiling it into the kernel?

Because we say that we unconditionally support the COMPAT_LINUX option,
while in fact we don't. I think it's necessary, because we shouldn't
have a different policy for each architecture. There's no technical
reason to not support COMPAT_LINUX on the Alpha (there's a technical
reason to not support it on IA-64, because the Linuxulator hasn't been
ported yet).

> What advantage is there to this?

Not everybody likes modules and we shouldn't gratuitously prevent those
users from compiling the Linuxulator into the kernel. The fact that
Alpha != i386 doesn't mean that we have different rules, right?

The Linuxulator port is simply not finished. We're just halfway
through...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org