Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:31:11 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw and natd confusion

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up ipfw rules within rc.firewall using the
simple model under 2.2.7.  I have some questions about two of the rules:

00700 deny ip from any to 192.168.0.0/16 via ed0

This rule prevents me from connecting to the outside world.  For some
reason, it doesn't allow me to, say, connect to my ISP news server.  Is
natd screwing up somewhere?

01300 deny log tcp from any to any in recv ed0 setup
This prevents IRC connections from occurring.  I'm sure I can use some
other set of rules to restrict this, but in the meantime, I've removed it.
 Any suggestions for starters?

The full rule set appears for a short while at:
http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/firewall.htm

I didn't think posting them to the mailing list was appropriate.

thanks.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited