Date:      Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:30:10 -0700
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to get support (was: Tyan alternatives cuz their support totally sucks)

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 12:21:15 +0000
Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com> wrote:

> > I've been really quite happy w/the Tyan barebones systems I've deployed
> > the past few months.  Until I needed support on a DOA TA26 barebones
> > unit.  I'll spare you the gory details but the nightmare is ongoing.
>
> But... we enjoy reading the gory details...

Ugh!! It's quite the saga and don't think I should clutter up the list
w/it.  Suffice to say it wasn't pretty and gives me serious concern
over any future dealings with them.

> > I need something that will "just work" and not require any hardware compatibility
> > histrionics.
>
> ...and someone might know the answer.
>
> > Yes, the Tyan units are great themselves.
> > The issue is getting support when you need it.
>
> Have your VP visit one of Tyan's VPs and wave a million dollar PO in
> their face.

Unfortunately that's about the reality of it...

I will say in Tyan's defense that things improved significantly once I
gave up on support and started working my way up the sales management
ladder.  Keeping future sales seems to motivate them enough to get
things done.

--
Best regards,

Ken Gunderson