Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:40:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT" <root@jd-unix.wpafb.af.mil>
Cc:        questions on FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Anonymous Account with ftpd

On Wed, 16 Aug 1995, Jeffrey D. Dean ROOT wrote:

> 	I'm having a heck of a time trying to allow ~ftp/pub
> to point to a different directory (symbolic link). I'm using
> wu-ftpd, and have created ~ftp with all the "suggested" file modes for
> ~ftp/bin, ~ftp/etc ... I'm guessing that the software was designed to not
> allow changing directories to a symbolic link??? Is their any way to get
> around this.
>
> 	I would like to continue to have ~ftp in /usr/home/ftp, but would
> like ~ftp/pub to point to /usr2/pub, i.e. My other HD...

I looked at the ftp and ftpd manpages, and I think that whatever home
directory you assign to the user 'ftp' in passwd, that becomes the home
directory, or root, of an ftp user.  That give you enough leeway?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!