Date:      Wed, 13 Oct 1999 13:04:10 -0400
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        "Pierre Beyssac" <beyssac@enst.fr>, "David G Andersen" <danderse@cs.utah.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: package-like feature for the base distrib (was Re: FreeSSH)

Hi,

From: Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>

> There are a _lot_ of pitfalls to this kind of approach, as I have
> discovered using Linux Debian. This would probably open a can of
> worms you have no idea of. IMHO, the single biggest mistake in
> Debian is the all-encompassing package system which can make your
> life miserable in no time.

[...]

I was not talking about things that constitute the "real" core of the
distribution (kernel, basic libraries etc.). I was more thinking about
"userland" stuff that is included in the distribution but might not be
required by everybody. Sendmail for example is something I don't want since
I user qmail. However I have to remove it by hand... Other examples are bind
or perl.

Basically I think anything that has an equivalent and/or an alternate
installation method in/via the "ports" system should be registered with the
rest of the packages.

> And, IMHO, package handling for general-purpose applications and
> package handling for the core system are a very different problem
> and should be handled in very different ways.

Agreed. This is the key. The package/ports system is really great as is. The
split between the distribution and the packages/ports is sometime annoying.
Again I think this mostly concerns "userland" features that are not required
for the core of FreeBSD.

Patrick.

--
MindStep Corporation