Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 15:54:35 +0100
From:      Ben Hutchinson <benhutch@xfiles.org.uk>
To:        Shockboi <shockboi@dqc.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: hosts.deny

Check your /etc/inetd.conf for a line such as this:

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/tcpd telnetd

This is straight from /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf.wrapped.sample

I'll bet what you currently have is this:

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd telnetd

After making the change to /etc/inetd.conf you'll have to send a HUP
signal to inetd.  The best way to do this is "killall -HUP inetd".

- Ben

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 07:21:22AM -0700, Shockboi wrote:

> Hi, I am running 2.2.7R and my problem is that my hosts.deny
> file isn't being read. I have tried "ALL: ALL" in /etc/hosts.deny
> and /usr/local/etc/hosts.deny , rebooted with a fresh inetd and
> still I am able to telnet into my computer from the outside.
> I have been playing round with my kernel as of late and can think
> that that would be the only thing that could be screwing me round.
> Any suggestions?

		 "You Can't Handle The Truth"