Date:      Mon, 20 May 1996 10:32:00 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: unionfs

<<On Sat, 18 May 1996 13:32:10 +1000, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au> said:

> Another problem with mount_union is that getdirentries() doesn't work for
> the lkm version.  I have the union file system statically configured to
> test it.  This may have helped avoid the above panic.  It normally hangs
> instead of panicing.

I think that this may be another service which doesn't want to be
available as an LKM.  (IPFW is another, but for rather different
reasons.)  When the new code is integrated, mount_union will not be
able to modload the unionfs module unless it is run by root, which
rather defeats the purpose of allowing ordinary users to mount
unionfs:es in the first place.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.