Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:16:49 -0800
From:      Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Pieper, Jeffrey E" <jeffrey.e.pieper@intel.com>, "Hearn, James R" <james.r.hearn@intel.com>, "Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@intel.com>, "Vogel, Jack" <jack.vogel@intel.com>
Subject:   Intel 82574 issue reported on Slashdot

For those that may have run across the story on Slashdot about this NIC,
here is our statement:

Recently there were a few stories published, based on a blog post by an
end-user, suggesting specific network packets may cause the Intel=AE 82574L
Gigabit Ethernet Controller to become unresponsive until corrected by a
full platform power cycle.

Intel was made aware of this issue in September 2012 by the blogs author.
Intel worked with the author as well as the original motherboard
manufacturer to investigate and determine root cause. Intel root caused the
issue to the specific vendor=92s mother board design where an incorrect
EEPROM image was programmed during manufacturing.  We communicated the
findings and recommended corrections to the motherboard manufacturer.

It is Intel=92s belief that this is an implementation issue isolated to a
specific manufacturer, not a design problem with the Intel 82574L Gigabit
Ethernet controller.  Intel has not observed this issue with any
implementations which follow Intel=92s published design guidelines.  Intel
recommends contacting your motherboard manufacturer if you have continued
concerns or questions whether your products are impacted.
Here is the link:

http://communities.intel.com/community/wired/blog/2013/02/07/intel-82574l-g=
igabit-ethernet-controller-statement

Any questions or concerns may be sent to me.

Cheers,

Jack