Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 12:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "<"<@eecis.udel.edu:alexandr@ren.eecis.udel.edu>
To:        Tamiji Homma <thomma@baynetworks.com>
Cc:        wing@cc.nsysu.edu.tw, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: How do I use IDE HD. more than 8G

Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 15:33:28 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@ren.eecis.udel.edu>

: 1. Bring up FreeBSD on 6.4GB (wd0) single user and mount /var, /usr manually.
: 2. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/wd2 bs=512 count=100  ; wipe out partition table.
: BE EXTRA CAREFUL....wd2 not wd0
: 3. allocate entire disk(the first partition) for FreeBSD. (fdisk)
: 4. disklabel -e wd2 (I'm not sure of the exact options, manpage it yourself)
: enter what you have calculated for /, /var, /usr, and swap.
: 5. newfs /dev/wd2a, wd2e, wd2f ...

Okay, quick question for the lazily impaired (eg slackers like me).
Couldn't you mount both disks like you said, boot with an install floppy
and let the install program take care of the partitioning,
disklabelling, and formatting?

Also, are there any suggestions on how to set the geometry (is the
default that say the install floppy would generate okay, or should one
go with ???/64/63)?

Thanks.

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8