Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:26:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Adapter

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980821095443.18351B-100000@duey.hs.wolves.k12.mo.us>,

> >> Why not consider ATM cards with single mode fiber then ?
> >
> >Hmm.. Well, its a thought.  I will actually probably put a switch on
> >one end of the fiber run, so i would need to find one with an ATM
> >interface.  I also don't know ATM all too well, so I'd kinda like to
> >stick to Ethernet.  It all comes down to price (and what is supported
> >in FreeBSD), though.
>
> FreeBSDs current ATM is about $1000/port for 155Mbit on copper, I don't
> know the singlemode prices.  You can connect two such back-to-back,
> so you don't need a switch as such.

Well, that is already too expensive for what I need (I don't need the
higher QoS or any of the other things ATM offers me... at least not
yet). According to Pricewatch, I can get a Pro/1000 for $584. Not bad
at all.  According to Intel, it has a multi-mode interface with SC
connectors, so I would need to buy a single/multi converter.  If I can
get one of those for $550 or less, I'm still way ahead.

Stick a bunch of those in a FreeBSD box and I have myself a router,
and I can eventually buy a gigabit layer3 IP switch (when the price
comes down) to replace it and use all the gigabit cards in our
servers.  All for the same or less money than it would have cost me to
do 100Mbit in my situation.  Did I get lucky or does the industry just
do this on purpose? :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */