Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:20:05 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        Brian McCann <bjm1287@ritvax.rit.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Administrators - GUI's or Command lines

On Sunday 21 July 2002 07:53 pm, Brian McCann wrote:
| Both.  I use KDE only when I need to download stuff off the web, or look
| up something off the web, and I use KDE sometimes for mail.  But I will
| always do my server "maint" and configs from a CLI using an editor like
| vi.  None of my servers even have X on them...and the only box that does
| is one of the workstations at my desk...I use SSH and/or telnet for
| everything.  In most cases, if I need to download something from the web
| to one of my servers, I will download it to my workstation first (and I
| run an FTP server on my workstation) then download it from my
| workstation to my server.  IMHO...and I know I'll get some $h1t for
| it...but....GUI configuration programs are for pansies. :)\

The bigger problem IMHO with GUI configuation programs is that they produce
unreproducable results.  I want a file that I can edit, and thereforce
squirrel off someplace and "diff" later.  GUIs make it difficult or
impossible to do these things.

Information hiding is not *always* a good thing!

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org