Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:45:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jonathan Hogg <lynn@ruraltel.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from 3rd harddrive

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Jonathan Hogg wrote:

> I recently installed FreeBSD as an X86 installation to a Western Digital
> 1.2GB WDAC31200 harddrive.  The drive is my "third" drive, and is the
> second drive on the secondary EIDE controller of a very recent AWARD
> BIOS controlled motherboard. (AWARD v 4.51, I think).
>
> I installed BSD from the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 CD-ROM, and I got no errors
> during installation.
>
> When I finished and tried a reboot, BSD seemed to be doing fine down to
> the last second, and then it "paniced" trying to manage something toward
> the end of the boot sequence, saying it was unable to mount the root on
> wd2a.  Well, wd2a is the first (only) slice on my third drive, all
> right.

This is common.  You'll have to use a boot floppy and type
'wd(2,a)/kernel' to get it started, then rebuild your kernel and tell it
root is on wd1.  I would suggest moving this disk to the slave position to
the primary controller; it will save you many, many headaches.

There was another suggestion to remove the wd1 entry under the wdc0 entry,
then change wd2 to wd1.  See the mail archives for details.

> Here's one catch, though.  During install I told BSD not to install any
> MBR boot manager, since I use IBM's Boot Manager (that came with
> PartitionMagic 3.0 by PowerQuest).

That should boot it no problem.