Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 1995 17:09:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      Peter da Silva <peter@bonkers.taronga.com>
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Am I dreaming?

> My question is, how hard would it be to make them MORE than informational?
> e.g. the system sees one of these URL specs as a filename and auto-fetches
> it for you.

Yow. Now *that* would be way cool. What would you do, have a mechanism to
register a program to be passed the URL if you open a symlink that matches
URL format?

(ooh, then you could do

	ln -s http://localhost/cgi-bin/executable?symlink+target file

though it'd be more fun to do

	ln -s sh:/usr/local/bin/... file
)

> I guess this all gets back to the whole `user mode translation of file names'
> thing we were talking about awhile back.  It's not the same as portals,
> which require a given mount point to be traversed, but rather affects all
> files who's names match some sort of selection criteria.  The feature above
> would be one very nice application for this.

I'd make it only in symlinks, and make the symlink match something more than
just a URL... (@proto://...?).