Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 23:23:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        vladimir-bsd-stable@math.uic.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd problems

As I recall, vladimir-bsd-stable@math.uic.edu wrote:
> BTW, should the '_' character be considered a valid character for a hostname?
> I think rfc1034 only gives recommendations, but doesn't insist on them.
> It would make sense for gethostbyname() to return results for such hosts.

I can't quote you references right now, but we came to the
conclusion that the '_' character was invalid in host names.  We had
similar problems delivering reports to customer's networked printers
that contained underscores in their names.  We eventually got the
customer to change the '_' to '-'.

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net