Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:18:10 -0600
From:      Scott <info@sonservers.com>
To:        Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Install 5.3 - Getting mountroot> prompt

  >   On February 11, 2005 09:42 pm, Scott wrote:
  >    >   I will really appreciate it of
  >    >   someone can help
  >    >   me out.
  >    >
  >    >   I am installing 5.3 on a dual p3
  >    >   server. I have
  >    >   two 160 gig Seagate IDE drives on the
  >    >   first IDE
  >    >   connector, and a CD rom on the 2nd
  >    >   IDE connector.
  >    >   I have reinstalled several times with
  >    >   different
  >    >   drive configurations and keep getting
  >    >   stuck at
  >    >   the same place.
  >    >
  >    >   At boot, the normal countdown loader
  >    >   comes up and
  >    >   it begins to boot. The boot message
  >    >   gets to this
  >    >   drive section below and then stops at
  >    >   a
  >    >   "mountroot>" prompt.
  >    >
  >    >   Begin copy .......
  >    >
  >    >   ad0: 152627MB <ST3160023A/8.01>
  >    >   [310101/16/63]
  >    >   at ata0-master UDMA66
  >    >   ad1: 152627MB <ST3160023A/8.01>
  >    >   [310101/16/63]
  >    >   at ata0-master UDMA66
  >    >   acd0: <CDU5211/YYS2> at ata1-master
  >    >   PIO4
  >    >
  >   Your problem may be that you have two
  >   drives on the same connector that are both
  >   configured as the master. You need to
  >   switch the ad1 drive to be the slave.

Thanks Ean,

That was an error in my posting. The second drive
actually does show on the output as "slave". I
retyped that into my message from the screen and
copied and pasted that line and didn't change the
"master" to "slave". It actually does show master and
slave correctly.

The master/slave settings are actually correct. Sorry
for the confusion.

I'm going to try to install 5.2.1 again and see if I still
have the same issue.