Date:      Sun, 02 Jun 2002 09:15:14 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        David LeCount <kenshi@linuxorbit.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel errors

David LeCount wrote:
> For the past few months, I've been having a bit of a problem compiling
> kernels and haven't been able to figure out what the hell is going on.

What version of FreeBSD?

> make buildkernel doesn't seem to give any errors (I don't know why), but
> the conventional method gives about 2 pages of errors. It errors while
> compiling the Linux module. Here is the first few lines of the errors:

Read the handbook.
I don't believe the old build method is supported on newer source trees.
You should probably just use "make buildkernel".  Do I understand your
description of the problem correctly?

> ===> linux
> cc -O -pipe   -D_KERNEL -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
> -Wstrict-protot
> ypes  -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual
> -fformat-extens
> ions -ansi -DKLD_MODULE -nostdinc -I-  -I. -I@ -I@/../include
> -mpreferred-stack
> -boundary=2 -Wall -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs
> -Wstrict-prototypes  -Wmiss
> ing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Winline -Wcast-qual  -fformat-extensions
> -ansi -
> c linux_sysent.c
> In file included from linux_sysent.c:14:
> linux_proto.h:57: syntax error before `linux_time_t'
> linux_proto.h:57: `linux_time_t' undeclared here (not in a function)
>
> It continues with similar messages and the typical "Stop in ..."
> messages. I'll attach my config file since that's likely where the
> problem is. Thanks.

I doubt there's anything wrong with your config file if it makes properly
when you issue a "make buildkernel".

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology