Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:43:15 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Subject:   Re: hp 10-in mini?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 07:58:35PM -0500, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:19:50PM -0600, Doug Poland wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> We have been  purchasing  the Lenovo s-10's lately (ideapad)  specs *seem*
> the same;
> As most of these "netbooks" are, But we are a windows shop and being an NGO
> 299.00  was quite appealing as was the 2.3lbs.
> Ive sent them out to Africa and Latin America, I used one on a trip  down
> there  used it for 16 hours a day  without a hiccup.
> But as you mentioned  they do not come with optical drive bays,  but with
> with 4/8/16 gig flash drives  no one really cares-

	do you mean what i know as "thumb drives"?  stick-like thing
	you just plug in?  i've never used these and am unfamiliar.
	one reason i want an optical drive is for when i watch a
	movie/dvd/cd on my tiny notebook.  --yes, this will be a clear
	indication that i've gone completely 'round the bend.  another
	reason for using the optical drive might be to save things
	from the notebook if everything else is down...

	altho raison d'etre [dont laugh at my spelling, please] for
	wanting such a small computer is to use it as a speech device,
	i might like it well enough to carry-with in general.  rather
	than lugging my 700-pound thinkpad.  thus, expendability is a
	consideration.  weeks/months ago i saw a 4-unit (almost
	cube-like) device that held 256GB of RAM. plug all 4 into your
	ASUS and you have a nice round terabyte of SSD.  there were
	links to new [and open] filesystems for the computer.

> I have also  purchased those "mini-mice"  with retractable cords
> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MRQVCW for some users-

	the mouse with the ASUS was infrared; cordless!  so, on one
	hand, some of these tiny computers seem more advanced than others.
	OTOH, I can imagine one huge factory somewhere churning out
	these thing by the million/day....

> I mainly used it to connect to my servers  via  citrix  and thought it was
> good
>
> Processor
> Intel Atom Processor N270 1.6G
> 10.1 LED Glossy,1024*600
> 1 x 1, GB DDR2 SDRAM 1066MHz SODIMM Memory
> 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
> Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapter
> Broadcom BCM4312 M 802.11G WLAN
> S10-2 series 3 cell 2600 Ah Black battery
> 1Year Warranty
>
> Mind sending me the link  to those 200.00 HP's

	damn.  i checked just now; already sold out.  amazon sent the
	following URL:

	http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=pe_btn/?node=384082011

	oh well.  at lesat we know what's going to be hot this xmas.

	(*****)

--
 Gary Kline  kline@thought.org  http://www.thought.org  Public Service Unix
    The 7.31a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php