Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 23:57:58 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using 4.0 userland with 4.4-STABLE kernel

Is it possible to install and use recent STABLE kernel
with 4.0 userland? I have a remote machine with 4.0-SNAP-xxx.

It has old but stable hardware - Intel Champion 486SX/8Mb RAM/200Mb HDD.
It acts as router and traffic shaper for its LAN and
I manage it remotely. It has enough disk space to build
a kernel for itself.

I need recent dummynet features, f.e. WF2Q+ queueing.
Its link to the net is slow and expencive.
Is it possible to upgate just kernel and ipfw keeping
the rest of userland untouched?  It does not use any kernel modules.

Eugene Grosbein