Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 18:11:13 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        chuckr@eng.umd.edu, julian@ref.tfs.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

    Terry> It requires the implementation of run levels.

And it's not clear what run levels are.  On the HP/UX system I'm using
at the moment, there are run levels 0 through 6 and S.  S is the only
one that really makes sense (S == single user), but why is 2 multiuser
mode?  What do you get with levels 0 and 1?  What don't you get?  And
sites can customize the higher run levels to mean what they want.

    Terry> I personally *don't* find it objectionable.

All those oddly named scripts, links, codes are hard to grok.  More
often than not, when ``such-n-such is hung,'' I have to

	find /etc/rc* -type f | xargs grep such-n-such

just to find out the name of the script I'm supposed to use.  And it
turns out all it did was run ``such-n-such -d'' which I saw with the
output from `ps', so it would've been faster to just kill it and
restart it---which I'm leary of since what if I forgot to remove a
fifo, lock file, or other such debris before doing so?

I so much prefer just looking through /etc/rc.local (and now,
/etc/sysconfig) since it collects in one place the needed stuff.

``Scotty, go to run level 6!''

``Captain, the swapper won't handle all those daemons!''

``Which daemons?''

``I ... I don't know, captain!''

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

I spilled spot remover on my dog.  He's gone now. -- Steven Wright