Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:37:56 -0500
From:      "Scott Renna" <srenna@vdbmusic.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   I broke 5.0 while attempting upgrade to 5.1

Hello Everyone,

First off, I wanna say thanks to all the help this list has provided and
continues to provide.  With every new failure comes help from one of you
and then I learn and can contribute to others as well.

So here's what's going on now...

I attempted an upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1(I've heard upgrade is rough at
times).  Whenever trying to perform this upgrade I get weird kernel
panics(this is when I choose to upgrade my src as well). So I gave it a
shot without upgrading source and it tells me /mnt is full(I believe
this is not the true /mnt, but rather the backup directories it uses to
preserve existing files).  So now I'm SOL and cannot boot.

I have a dd image of my drive as well as dumps of each partition(for
once I did this..thank god).  The problem I'm running into is how the
heck can I restore the entire drive with dd or restore.  I know the
commands to use, however, I need something to boot to.

Here's the thing.  I have the FreeBSD5.0 Disc 2 and I can start a shell
when going into the Fixit option..however, from here I'm kind of lost.
Is there a HOWTO on how to use CD2 out there for common functionality?
I am unable to even mount /dev/ad0s1.....

Any help out there?

Scott