Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 1997 23:08:53 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        Seppo Kallio  <kallio@cc.jyu.fi>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Repeated UNIT ATTENTION, what is it, is this serious?

Seppo Kallio writes:

 > I have a Pentium P90 Intel Zappa, FreeBSD 2.1.5 NFS server. It has one AHA
 > 2940 + 3 Seagate disks (2+4+4G) and one AHA 2940 + HP Tape robot
 >
 > I am getting more and more this kind of error messages. First suspected
 > the HP dat tape causing them. (That is why I have it in it's own AHA2940).

We used to have this symptom appear every now and then until we
decided that five disks don't live too well in a single bus (at least
it did not work for us). Not wanting to troubleshoot further we
divided the bus into two (replaced the 2940 with 3940) and all errors
went away.

Highly likely the problem was related to termination, though...

Pete